Here are the top 5 reasons for hair loss and how to prevent them
Hair loss is a frustrating, often embarrassing condition that affects many people. As hair thins and falls out, it can also lead to significant psychological distress or depression. This article will discuss the top 5 reasons for hair loss.
Some of these are temporary, while others may be permanent conditions that require long-term treatment. Read on to learn more about how you can identify the root cause of your hair loss so you know what treatments would work best for your needs.
Reasons For Hair Loss
- Many people use PRP therapy to regrow their hair, but before you take any measures you should know what is causing the hair loss. Although hair loss can occur due to several reasons, the most common ones are as follows:
- One of the most common reasons for hair loss is genetics. If your parents or grandparents suffered from thinning hair or baldness, there is a good chance you will too. This type of hair loss, called androgenetic alopecia, is caused by hormones and can be treated with medications like minoxidil (Rogaine) or finasteride (Propecia).
While androgenetic alopecia can be caused due to a number of environmental factors, genetics is a major trigger for it.
- Several medical conditions can lead to hair loss. The most common is an autoimmune condition called alopecia areata, which causes the body to attack the hair follicles, leading to hair loss mistakenly.
Other medical conditions that can cause hair loss include thyroid disease, polycystic ovarian syndrome, and cancer treatments such as radiation therapy or chemotherapy.
- Many women experience hair loss after giving birth or during menopause due to hormonal changes in the body. This type of hair loss is called telogen effluvium and it is usually temporary. Hormonal changes can also trigger hair loss in men, most commonly after age 50.
Similarly, testosterone replacement therapy can cause hair loss as a side effect for males. The loss of testosterone-sensitive hair follicles causes this.
- A poor diet can lead to hair loss in both men and women. Nutritional deficiencies such as zinc or iron deficiency can cause hair loss, as can a diet too high in processed foods or sugars.
Moreover, crash dieting can also lead to hair loss as the body goes into starvation mode and starts to ration its resources leading to a deficiency of critical nutrients needed for healthy hair.
- If you are under a lot of stress, it can cause your hair to fall out. This type of hair loss is called telogen effluvium and is usually temporary.
However, under constant pressure, it can lead to long-term hair loss. Stress can lead to hair loss by causing a hormone imbalance or triggering the autoimmune condition alopecia areata.
- If you are experiencing hair loss, it is essential to see a doctor to determine the root cause. There are several treatments available for each type of hair loss, so it is necessary to find out what is causing hair thinning so you can get the appropriate treatment.
At Missoula Wellness and Medispa, we offer the best PRP treatments for hair loss. To book an appointment for a consultation with a professional or to avail of our services, contact Missoula Wellness and Medispa. Call us at 406-549-6600 for more information. Be sure to follow our procedure plan and wait at least six months to see positive results. We offer our services in Missoula, MT, and surrounding areas.