Here are some common reasons and types of acne in adults
Many teenagers struggle with acne and acne scars well into their early adulthood. However, for acne to resurface in adults around the age of twenty-five or older is a cause of concern. Not only does it cause insecurities related to the appearance of the individual, but can also be an indicator of underlying health conditions.
Is It Common For Adults To Get Acne?
- Studies show that over 85% of females and 15% of males all over the world have adult acne. It is the eighth most common disease in the world. Hence yes, adult acne is very common and in most cases completely treatable.
Types Of Adult Acne
- There are many different types of adult acne. They are classified depending on the look of the pimple and certain other characteristics. Some of the most common types are:
- This is common acne that people usually get in their teen years and young adult years. It usually consists of different types of pimples all over the body but most commonly on the face.
- Comedones are hair follicles that become clogged due to the accumulation of oil and dead skin. If the comedone is open, it turns into a blackhead. If it is closed it turns into a whitehead. These are basic acne lesions commonly found in adults.
- Pustules are pimples that are often filled with pus and look swollen with a white tip surrounded by inflammation. You should not pick these kinds of pimples for they scar or cause dark spots.
- Cysts are a severe form of acne that is often full of pus. They resemble boils and can be large in size. Cystic acne is difficult to get rid of.
Common Reasons For Acne In Adults
- Some of the most common reasons for acne in adults are as follows:
Using Too Many Skincare Products
- Most people tend to use too many skincare products and over-exfoliate their skin. This can cause irritation and acne breakouts. It can also happen when users switch products too often or just when the skin is getting used to the previous one.
- Hormonal imbalance due to conditions such as Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome can cause acne in adulthood. This acne is usually cystic and needs medication to be treated. Many women with PCOS suffer from mild to severe acne for most of their life.
A Diet High In Processed Foods
- Studies have shown that diets high in processed carbohydrates can be a cause of acne in adults. It also impacts our blood sugar and insulin resistance. These factors contribute to greater inflammation and acne.
- Not only does stress make our skin age faster, but it also causes acne. Many adults suffer from stress and mental health issues. Excessive stress has been proven to cause acne breakouts that last for certain weeks at a time.
Excessive Cellphone Usage
- Our cellphone screens are some of the most polluted objects that our skin comes in contact with regularly. We touch a lot of things and then use those fingers to navigate through our phones. Holding that phone against our cheek causes irritation and introduces pollutants that cause anxiety.
To book an appointment for a consultation with a professional or to avail of our services, contact Missoula Wellness and Medispa. We offer acne treatments to make your skin smoother. Call us at 406-549-6600 for more information. We offer our services in Missoula, MT, and surrounding areas. Be sure to follow our procedure plan and wait at least six months to see positive results.